Skip to main content
Getting to know your Maulers
Player #5 Derek Griffin





Get to know your Maulers
Player #5: Derek Griffin
(Credit to Missoula Maulers)
Welcome back to another Meet your Maulers! Today I had the great opportunity of interviewing defenseman #4 Derek Griffin! Griffin is 5 ft 10 in, 170 lbs, and is from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA. In the 2012-2013 season he played for Team Compete U-17. From what I have heard and seen, Derek is a very fast skater who is a definite play maker. He has great stick handling and has a wicked shot. During the interview actually he earned beauty status because...well you will just have to wait and see what he had to say. I think that the fans at the GIR will love him because he is very pleasant and kind off the ice yet ferocious out on the blue line. I hope that he turns out to be a strong and solid defenseman because every team needs at least one and honestly these are the guys to watch out on the ice! For example you have Kris Letang or Erik Karlsson. It was a great pleasure to interview Derek and with out anymore delays here is his interview!


 1. What are you most looking forward to with the Maulers this year?
DG: I'm looking forward to play here at home this year because I heard the fans are pretty crazy! And also winning a lot of games!

2. What do you expect to bring to the team this year?

DG: Well I'm very positive! But I'm a pretty fast skater and like to rush the puck a lot, so I'll bring some speed to the team as well!

3. What age did you start playing?

DG: I started playing at around 8 years old!

4. Other than hockey what are your hobbies/things you like to do outside the rink?

DG: Well I love being outdoors! I like to ski and snowboard in the winter! I wakeboard, surf, longboard, and speed skate! Pretty much anything that seems interesting to me I'll try it!

5. What is your favorite NHL team and player?

DG: Favorite NHL team would be L.A. and player would be Michael Grabner!

6. Where do you see yourself in hockey in the next 5 years?

DG: Hopefully playing hockey at a very high level! And continuing my dream to make it to the show!
7. What do you like most about Missoula?

DG: I love the mountains and scenery because it reminds me a lot of where I am from!

8. Is there anything would like to say to the fans?

DG: I'm very excited to play in front of all you guys, and hope you have fun at the games!

9. Xavier LaFlamme, Hanson Brothers, or Jimmy Craig?

DG: Hanson Brothers!

10. If you had to compare yourself to anyone in the NHL who would it be?

DG: Mike Richards!

11. Do you have any pregame rituals or songs?

DG: I listen to a lot of rap! And start with my right first! And say a pre game prayer!

12. Who is the best travel partner?

DG: Well we have only had two road trips but right now probably Joey Porco!

13. If you had to pair up a super hero and a villain on the team who would it be?

DG: Super hero Christian Manning and villain Corey Schafer!

14.  Best dressed?

DG: Me no doubt!

15. Best hockey memory?

DG: Best hockey memory would be going to the Bauer world invite in Chicago and getting 2nd place!

16. Worst locker room experience?

DG: Haha what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room! No fines for this guy!

17. Who is the player that best embodies the junior lifestyle?

DG: Corey Schafer no doubt!

18. If you had to be stranded on a desert island with anyone in the world who would it be?

DG: Probably my family! Family over everything!

   Do you see where he earned beauty status? Well if you don't that is okay but if you did congratulations! I am very excited to see Derek on the blue line this season and what he can bring to the ice! Good luck Derek with the Maulers this year!








Comments

  1. He is kind of amazing! Get to know him if you have the chance! Love you Bro!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle