Skip to main content
Coach Mike Stanaway 
       Interview





(Credit to New York Jr Aviators)




Biscuits and Breezers




  Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! In this blog, I had the great opportunity of interviewing the new New York Jr. Aviators coach Mike Stanaway! You probably recognize the name because I have been fortunate enough to work with this amazing coach quite a bit in the past seasons. I interviewed him while he was the coach of the Marquette Royales and I also believe that I worked with him for a short time while he coached for the New Mexico Renegades. Anyway, if you do not know who Coach Stanaway is, he is an absolutely outstanding coach, in my opinion. He can take a team that is below the bottom of the leader board and turn them into a team that is at the top of the stats week after week. He can take a player that is basically a bender and turn him into one that is a super star by mid-season for sure. Stanaway is a great team leader and gives nothing but support to his team. Ruling with an iron fist, lest to be forgotten. He is great at developing a player's skills in order to get into a great college program or higher level teams. Here is Coach Stanaway's interview!

   Biscuits: What can fans and the organization expect to see from the Aviators now that you have taken up the GM/Coach position?

Stanaway: I think the fans and organization can expect to see a winning attitude from not just our players and coaches but everyone involved in the organization. It has been a culture that we have been able to create in more than one place and we want to bring that to New York

Biscuits: Why did you decide to leave and coach in Brooklyn instead of having another year in Marquette?

Stanaway: The answer to that is pretty simple. I have two loves in my life. My son and hockey. I felt that this move to New York gives my players an extraordinary opportunity in terms of exposure that I feel isn't quite the same in the Midwest. I am never one to get into debates that one league is superior to another, I am just saying that New York and the USPHL can provide additional exposure for many  of Midwest and West Coast players additional educational opportunities to institutions on the East Coast. Secondly, this opportunity allows me to spend a little more time with my son. I know every coach out there knows where I am coming from on this one. To have the opportunity to continue to do what I love but spend some more quality time with my boy is absolutely priceless to me

Biscuits: You have a great amount of experience lifting teams and bringing them into an incredible post season, is this what we can expect to see in the 2014-2015 season?

Stanaway: That is the goal. We practice and play hard all season to make a run at a championship and getting the opportunity to participate in the National Tournament. It is never an easy track but that is why we all compete as hard as we do

Biscuits: What have you thought about the Aviators so far following the teams you have played?

Stanaway: I think we have a good group of players from what I've seen so far. We went 2-1 in a showcase where I feel we dropped a game we shouldn't have. But it is apparent that we have a group of guys that can play. 

Biscuits: Are you looking forward to working with a new team this season?

Stanaway: I will certainly miss Marquette, it is my hometown and we did so many special things in one season but yes I am looking forward to a new challenge. More importantly though, I am just looking forward to working with the players and having another successful season. My team may have different colored jerseys this season, but it is still hockey so I am always looking forward to the start of another season

Biscuits: What are your plans for the team? 

Stanaway: My plans are to continue to finalize the roster and work hard to make an impact in the USPHL. It is a fantastic league and I just want to help the players and my team become better everyday. I know we all put a lot of stock in winning and losing but my plan is to continue to help the guys get opportunities to advance in both their academics and their athletics

Biscuits: So far, are the Aviators living up to your expectations? 

Stanaway: I feel the organization is exceeding my expectations. We have a tremendous ownership that is 100% dedicated to helping players realize their academic and hockey goals. They are an organization that gets it and have been more than hospitable to my staff and players

Biscuits: What do you expect to see change in the 2014-2015 season?

Stanaway: I think the big change that we will have to adjust to in the USPHL are the rules. They are a little different than the MnJHL or the WSHL which is where I came from. They play college rules so there is no fighting and players have to wear full face protection. I do not see it being a big adjustment but it will be a little different in the beginning

Biscuits: How are you planning to make an impact in the USPHL?

Stanaway: As far as an impact, the USPHL is a fantastic league and I am hoping that we can add to their growing tradition of respected programs. We will be a physical team that can hopefully continue to put the puck in the net. It should be a very fun year not only for myself but also all the players involved in our organization

Biscuits: How have things been being very active in the USPHL?

Stanaway: It is a little different style out east but in the end it is just hockey. The dimensions of the rink are the same as they are back home. Our style of play is a little different but in the end we are just going to compete hard every day

Biscuits: How does coaching in the USPHL match up to the MnJHL?

Stanaway: It is similar. A little different style out here but in the end the MJ has some good coaches and so does the USPHL





  Thank you so very much Coach Stanaway for the great interview! If you can, take a minute and check out the New York Jr Aviators! They could always use the support of the phenomenal Biscuits and Breezers hockey family and all of you extraordinary hockey fans out there! You can check out their site at http://pointstreaksites.com/view/nyjraviators/home-page-432

  Thanks for reading another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Every blog will be filled with updated hockey news, player reviews, and much more! Until next time remember, don't get your breezers in a bunch because hockey is always around the corner. Remember, it's always a great day for hockey and it's a lifestyle not just a sport!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle