Skip to main content
Helena Bighorns
  Interview



(Credit to Google Images - pointstreaksites.com)



Biscuits and Breezers




   Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! In this blog we will be talking about a junior team that has been packed with speed, skill, and wicked aggression season after season; the Helena Bighorns. Until the announcement was made earlier this year that all AWHL teams would be moving to the NA3HL, the Helena Bighorns have been 9 time league champions, 7 times back to back. In 2011, they took home the hardware and were the Junior A National champions. Almost every season the team has made the long and rightfully earned trip to Nationals and almost every year they continue to amaze the nation. As each new season approaches, I have the constant thought "How are they going to top last year's roster?" Well every year they manage to absolutely blow me away. The skaters that have become part of the Bighorns family are definitely always the top of the top. Their snipers are wickedly quick and have no problem finding the back of the net no matter which goaltender is in the cage that night. The forwards are always an absolute driving force and will push through opposing lines with ease. These skaters are strong and confident players that never take their eyes off the puck and work together phenomenally well. They are always in overdrive and will play their best games until the final second on the scoreboard vanishes. Let's not forget about the defenseman though!! Oh wow where to begin with these gems. These blue liners play a physical game so intense it would blow away some of the pros. They are on top of everything going on out on the ice and are ready to face anything.  They stand their ground 100% of the time and make sure that nothing gets past them. To describe them as tough wouldn't even begin to describe their physical game. And the goaltenders you might ask, brick walls. No exaggeration here, the goaltenders are constantly watching the biscuit and are taking in how every skater plays just to match their style when the shots on goal start coming. For you today, I have 3 interviews! Connor Dunn, John Petersson, and Sebastian Hansson provided a few words for you all just to see how fantastic this team is. Without any further delays, here it is! Enjoy!

2012-2013 team after winning the league title
(Credit to Google Images - helenair.com)

  If you have been with Biscuits and Breezers from any time during the 2012-2013 season, you will recognize the name John Petersson. I worked with John quite a bit and let me tell you, he is still one of the best junior defenseman I have ever seen come through this program or junior hockey for that matter. Petersson is the type of defenseman who is working the boards, banging bodies, making the glass shake with bone-crushing checks, and is firing shots through the net all at the same time. He is constantly in the thick of things and is out there working as hard as he can to support his team and get everything done that needs to be accomplished to get the win. His work ethic is out of this world and he is constantly seeing which areas he can improve his game in. If I was to coach a youth team, I would certainly bring Petersson in to teach because, basically, he embodies every aspect a player needs to be phenomenal on the ice. He is outstanding every game and always gives the crowd something to cheer for. He is the type of defenseman who is great moving the puck, can cover the rink in a matter of seconds, and is always there faithfully for his team. Here is John's interview!

Biscuits: How would you describe the team chemistry and talents of the Bighorns?

Petersson: The team chemistry has been great during my two seasons with the Bighorns, we have players that can score goals and players that can grind. The talent has been very good in the Bighorns and that brings up the intensity every practice where we have to compete very hard

Biscuits: Are you still happy with your decision to return to Helena?

Petersson: I am extremely happy with my decision to return. Lindenwood wasn't the right fit for me at the time so I am so thankful that Josh Reis and Coach Cunningham could help me come back

Biscuits: Did you have an easy transition back into the team?

Petersson: Yes I think so, because I already knew over half of the team from last year and then I also skated with the team during Thanksgiving so it wasn't hard at all

Biscuits: How do you feel the trip at Nationals went?

Petersson: We lost 2 out 3 games so of course I am a bit disappointed, but I think we were in the toughest bracket and we played really good teams so thinking back of it I think we should be proud of ourselves. We played our hardest and that is what it all comes down to, in the end

Biscuits: Why do you think that the Bighorns have become one of the top rated teams in the US?

Petersson: I think it is a lot because of Coach Cunningham. He is the best coach I have ever had and when all the players buy into the systems we get successful. Then when the team does good and moves on a lot of players that makes more good players interested in coming here and playing

Biscuits: How was is playing with Sebastian this season?

Petersson: It was really fun, Sebastian is a great hockey player and he was a big part of our success. We also stayed at the same billet house so we had a blast living together. 

Biscuits: Do you see yourself being involved with the Bighorns anytime in the future?

Petersson: Who knows, maybe I will return after my playing career to coach, because I really like the city and the people here

Biscuits: Would you recommend the Helena Bighorns to potential players?

Petersson: Absolutely, if you get the chance to play here, take it. You develop a lot as a hockey player and person playing for the Bighorns organization

Biscuits: Have you enjoyed your time in Helena?

Perersson: Oh yeah, I will miss this place so much. It will always be a great chapter of my life

Biscuits: You and Sebastian have made up a majority of the points this season, how was it to play with another high scoring Swede?

Petersson: It was a great time. Playing with a fellow Swede in America is always nice. We think hockey the same way and I think we found each other really good on the ice

Biscuits: You have had an incredibly impressive junior career, what has been your key to success?

Petersson: I would say hard work. You get better putting in all these hours on and off the ice. Another thing is that I have learned to focus more on my strengths and keeping my game simple

Biscuits: What are the opinions you will leave Helena with?

Petersson: That I had a great experience playing for the Bighorns organization. It has been the best time of my life without a doubt. I will miss the town and all the fans for sure. It has been a blast

Biscuits: As a 2 year Bighorn, were you impressed with the roster this year?

Petersson: It was a lot of returners in the line up this year so the core of the roster was basically the same, but the new guys did it really good too and especially some of our younger guys [that] had talent

 Thank you very much John! Make sure to keep track of John Petersson throughout his playing career because he is without going places high up in the hockey world! Next up, Connor Dunn!

(Credit to Google Images - scandhock.com)

  Connor Dunn was a rookie for the Bighorns, but wow what a player. This beauty brought aggression to another level this year for Helena and it was absolutely outstanding at what he could accomplish. Dunn is tougher than nails and is definitely the type of player who would drop the gloves and stand up for his team no questions asked. I think one of the things that impressed me the most about Dunn was his determination and his drive. Even when Connor was past exhaustion, he always brought his absolute best game to the ice and was there 100% of the time. There was never a moment where he was slacking or performing below his capability. He was always right up there with everyone else and even more so. The next thing that is outstanding about Connor is his aggression and fighting talents. Connor is 6 ft 1 and 165 lbs and he uses that large frame to his advantage. If things are getting chippy on the ice and you are wearing the opposing jersey, watch out for Dunn. When he gets into a fight he means business and won't stop until his opponent is pinned onto the ice, bleeding, or a combination of the two. He is obviously still a young player ('97) but already he fights like the big dogs. You can even see flickers of a young Kristopher Letang in his style of play. Aggression, confidence, and strong are all adjectives that could and should be used to describe Connor Dunn. He is an absolutely great player on and off the ice. Here is Connor's interview!

Biscuits: How would you describe the team chemistry and talents of the Bighorns?

Dunn: I can honestly say I've never been around a better group of guys or a more skilled bunch of athletes. The amount of skill throughout the whole team was astounding. Playing for this team you're always being pushed whether it be in practice, off ice, or in the games

Biscuits: Are you still happy with your decision to sign with Helena?

Dunn: I'm more than happy that I was given the opportunity to play for Scott and to play in Helena this year. I can say that I personally progressed and matured as an athlete and a person here more than I think I would have anywhere else. Everyone on the team and everyone involved with the team (coaches, billets, fans, rink staff) were all amazing and I couldn't have asked to be surrounded by a greater group of people

Biscuits: Did you have an easy transition into the team?

Dunn: At first it was a little tough to adjust to a new town, and it's always a little hard being the youngest player on the team but my teammates and coaches and billets really made Helena a home for me quickly

Biscuits: How do you feel the trip at Nationals went?

Dunn: I think we were truly challenged at Nationals and I think that's something I can't necessarily say about the teams in our league during the regular season and even in the playoffs. It was good for us to play some really good teams and I think I speak for the whole team when I say that the trip to Connecticut created some memories that I'll never forget

Biscuits: Why do you think that the Bighorns have become one of the top rated teams in the US?

Dunn: There isn't a doubt in my mind that the reason the Helena organization is successful year after year is because of the staff. Mainly Coach Scott Cunningham. His work in recruiting the right players and then developing those players in my personal opinion is unmatched at the tier lll level

Biscuits: How was it playing with all of the veterans this year?

Dunn: All of the guys are really supportive of me as the youngest player on the team but they aren't afraid to put me in my place when needed, it's great to be exposed to skilled players with plenty of junior experience and I'm really going to miss all of our 20 year olds who aged out this year

Biscuits: Do you see yourself being involved with the Bighorns anytime in the future?

Dunn: As long as I'm playing junior hockey at the tier lll level there is no organization I'd rather be a part of than Helena. I was blessed with the opportunity to play here this year and I hope to have the same opportunity next year

Biscuits: Have you enjoyed your time in Helena?

Dunn: I can honestly say that my year in Helena has been the best of my life thus far. I've created memories in this town that I know I'll never forget

Biscuits: Were you impressed with the roster this year?

Dunn: I was impressed with the roster this year yes. The talent, leadership, and chemistry that the players provided this year was new to me. Everything was at a much higher level for me this year and I wouldn't have it any other way

Thank you very much Connor for the great interview! As you can see, Connor is a phenomenal player on and off the ice (with wickedly sick flow.) With some time, Dunn will definitely be giving the pro players a run for their money. Next up, Sebastian Hansson! Please take a look at Connor's first junior fight!
   


  To start off, I would just like to say that Sebastian Hansson is the player that I feel stood out the most in the 2013-2014 season. Sebastian is an absolute beast on the ice and is constantly racking up goal after goal after goal. Hansson is 5 ft 10 and 210 lbs of pure muscle. He will drive through any opposing line and absolutely demolish it. His skills on the ice are unbelievable for the fact that he can create a goal out of almost nothing. He is driven by a passion and love for the game and you can definitely see that on the ice every night. Sebastian is out there every practice, game day, and off ice session pushing his limits farther and farther so that he can always be at the top of the pack. I have heard people relate hockey players to wolves, and in this case, Sebastian Hansson would be the lead wolf. He positively blows away the competition when he throws on his jersey and when his skates hit the ice, he has a job to do. Sebastian has a wicked slap shot and about 99% of the time will shred the back of the cage. If you are an opposing player, get out of Sebastian's way. He is there to win and if anyone is standing in his way, they won't be there for long. He has incredibly silky mitts and has great chemistry with his team mates which makes for an even stronger team. He is self reliable but has no problem helping someone out when they need it which creates a strong base for the entire team. I admire Sebastian's style of play because he is a bullet out there who will crush the competition with no problems. Here is Sebastian's interview!

Biscuits: How do you think your season went?

Hansson: I think my season went great and I learned many new things, but I wanted to go farther in Nationals

Biscuits: Are you happy with you decision on joining the team?

Hansson: Yes I'm very happy that I chose [the] Bighorns. I had good teammates a very good coach. So it couldn't be better

Biscuits: Was it easier to adjust to the North American style of hockey with another Swede on the team?

Hansson: No, I have played in a tournament in the US before so it wasn't that hard

Biscuits: How do you feel the trip to Nationals went?

Hansson: I think we played very good, but the puck didn't bounce out way. That's life

Biscuits: How was it playing with John Petersson this season?

Hansson: It was great to have another Swede in the team. It's great on the ice because we can talk Swedish to each other and nobody knows what we are saying

Biscuits: Would you recommend this team to potential junior players?

Hansson: Definitely yes, Scott teaches you a lot and he can make you play 100% every game and you get something out of every practice

Biscuits: Have you enjoyed your time in Helena?

Hansson: Yes it has been a great time. I like the nature around Helena and Montana

Biscuits: You have been a phenomenal player this season, how do you feel about your success?

Hansson: It's great when you are playing good and when you have good players by your side

Biscuits: How does it feel to be one of the players constantly at the top of the scoring/stats board every game?

Hansson: It feels good when you get rewarded by working hard

Biscuits: What are your opinions on the Bighorns you will leave Helena with?

Hansson: Its one of the best teams in the USA and it's a great place to learn hockey and [the] Bighorns have the best coach

Biscuits: How would you describe the team chemistry and talents of the team?
Hansson: The chemistry was very good. They are like my brothers. The talent in our team was high, every practice was a competition and that's great and probably why we were so good

Biscuits: Why do you think that the Bighorns have become one of the top rated teams in the USA?

Hansson: Because Scott is a very good coach he makes you work as hard as possible. He is all about hard work and if you have talent that works hard then you will get a great team

Biscuits: Are you impressed or happy with your stats this season?

Hansson: I'm very happy with my stats this year, but I've been working very hard this season so it's nice to see that I got some good stats this year

  Thank you very much for the great interview Sebastian! If you can, watch a game Sebastian is playing in because I know for a fact that it will leave you stunned!

(Credit to Facebook - Sebastian Hansson)

  As you can tell by the great player interviews, the Helena Bighorns are a team that should be gaining National attention. It is an amazing group of guys every season and they are constantly improving their organization and everyone involved with the  Bighorns are faithful and loyal to the team. They have a phenomenal coach on the bench who is always bringing out the best in every player. Coach Cunningham is, in my opinion, one of the best coaches for junior hockey and will keep making an impact as the seasons progress. I just want to take a second and thank all three of the players for taking time out of their days to have an interview with me, I really appreciate it! If you aren't a fan already, go friend their Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/HelenaBighorns?fref=ts ) and keep up with all the important Bighorn news! They are a great organization and are improving vastly every season. Go Bighorns!!

  Thanks for reading another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Every blog will be filled with updated hockey news, player reviews, and much more! Until next time remember, don't get your breezers in a bunch because hockey is always around the corner. Remember, it's always a great day for hockey and it's a lifestyle not just a sport!









Comments

  1. Great article as always. Thank Biscuits/Breezers. Go Bighorns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! You're welcome and Go Bighorns!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle