Skip to main content
College of Charleston
Hockey Program










    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! In this special article you will get an inside look at one of the best Southern hockey schools I have had the pleasure of working with. The College of Charleston Cougars are an extremely passionate and skilled group of guys that love forging the path for ice hockey in the southern states. In the South it is tough to expand the game for obvious reasons but for the Cougars, they are charging at the head of the pack and making a name for hockey in Charleston, South Carolina. This is one of the best programs I have worked with because the boys on this team love their hockey, love their fans, and they want to see the sport blossom. I have watched a few of their games and let me tell you, this is some of the best puck I have ever seen working with college players. They are constantly supporting each other, they play a game where they are constantly attacking the net yet they have a solid defense, and their goaltenders are extraordinary. The team is a tight group of guys and they take the game very seriously. It is absolutely a huge brotherhood and they will definitely go down in the books as one of the best southern hockey programs. They are an untapped field of hockey wealth and they have one heck of a road in front of them. I was lucky enough to be able to talk with goaltender John Mohror and forward David Jerulle so without any further ado, here are the interviews!

(Credit to Google Images - raftersblog.com)


   The first player I would like you to "meet" would be sophomore goaltender #35 John Mohror. Currently in the 2013-2014 season, he has 2.86 goals against average, .859 SV%, 188.63 minutes played, 64 shots against, and 55 shots saved. John is 6 ft 3 in, 190 lbs, and is from Alexandria, Minnesota, USA. Mohror is a great goaltender and is even better off the ice. He was phenomenal with helping me get into contact with some of the players and coaches on the team and his interview was fantastic! Here is John's amazing interview!

Biscuits: Why did you decide to join the College of Charleston team?
Mohror: I decided to join C of C Hockey because it seemed like a great fit for me. I grew up playing hockey in my home state, Minnesota, all of my life and played through my first two years of college non-competitively at Bemidji State, GO BEAVERS! After taking two years off of school, I enrolled at C of C and was approached by now Capt. Ryan MacDonald at orientation. I missed the competition of the sport and was looking for a place to get back on the ice, so having a strong club team on campus seemed like a great way to transition into Charleston
Biscuits: What are your thoughts on the C of C program?
Mohror:  We are a young program, just completing the 4th season as a competitive team. Also, we’ve got a young roster with a lot of freshman and transfer sophomores. We go into every game with something to prove, either to the other team or ourselves. It’s something that I’m proud to say of C of C is that we are not the biggest in stature, but when we’re on, I believe we can compete with the best. As a beginning program, it has been nice to have depth at every position through the roster. However, with a shallow roster, injuries can take their toll. Going forward we look to grow the program to have a wealth of players to sub and rotate to alleviate the injury issues we had this season
Biscuits: How are you planning on helping out the team in your further college years?
Mohror:  For the coming season, I look to play a more prominent role on and off the ice. Battling hip injuries this season, I spent half the year on the bench advising along side our coaches. Thus, for the coming year I look to get a lot more minutes in the net, helping out Mike Ott our other Goaltender. Off-ice I will be running for President, we’ve got some great plans for the off-season and for fundraising for the coming year to take the team to a new level and compete on a national scale with the Inde teams of Florida and the powerhouses like Liberty and Arkansas
Biscuits: Where do you see the team going within your college career?
Mohror:  With 2 more years with the program, I see us growing exponentially both in recognition and accolades. I saw our squad not off an arguably top-spot team in the South this season and was called a fluke. When I think of the coming year, I see us no longer as an under-dog, we will be in the conversation for top teams in the South. Along with league credibility, I see the Cougars taking a more active role in the Charleston hockey community. Being a staple at community events and functions to promote and be advocates for the game in the lowcountry
Biscuits: How has your college career been with the Cougars?
Mohror:   Ironically, before I hit the ice for the first full practice with the Cougars, I injured my hip-flexor and was off the ice for 3 weeks. After I was cleared, I spend the first month, dressed and on the bench with Goalies Mike Ott and Jack Saba. However, as space was tight and our confidence strong in Sr G’s Saba and Ott, I bowed out and donned the suit and tie and began advising the forward end of the bench through until mid-January. The last few weeks, as my health stayed up, I saw more minutes against great teams. My career, yet young with C of C, has been re-ignited, getting me fueled for the coming season already
Biscuits: Would you recommend this program to potential players?
Mohror: The program at C of C is one of the best I’ve been a part of in many aspects. Here in Charleston, there are not many teams, or rinks for that matter, only a handful in the entire state. However, in Charleston, we have the Stingrays to add enthusiasm to the sport and gain fans in a more public fashion than a club team could do. Also, with the grade of players that we retain, we consistently compete with schools of twice or three times the enrollment. Off-ice, the Cougars are tight-knit and spend a lot of time together just as other collegiate organizations do. Though still in a growth-phase, the C of C Hockey team is an exciting group to be a part of right now. We are on the cusp of great things and I would suggest to anyone interested
Biscuits: What has been your most memorable experience with the team?
Mohror: Through my first year, of the greatest moments was knocking off prelim-voting #1 rank CNU in the Charlotte Shootout Tournament. We came into the game knowing they were going to be a solid team, with a lot of guys that had been playing together for a few years. But when the time came to perform, our leadership and grit took over and we pulled out an “upset” that got people to take notice
Biscuits: Was college what you expected it to be?
Mohror: Yes and no, college hockey in the North and in the South are two different things. Coming from a big-time hockey school in BSU, I had an image of college hockey much different than what it is in Charleston.  The fans here love the sport, the team, atmosphere, it all. But the issue is getting them to the rink, as without an NCAA presence in the South it doesn’t have the following as college football or baseball does. With that said, once we get the fans to see a game, they’re hooked and likely to be at every home game they can
Biscuits: What is your advice for any aspiring junior/college player looking for a successful college hockey career?
Mohror:  My advice is to keep your work ethic and humility in check. The honest truth is there will always be a better player out there, but the difference maker is going to be how your separate yourself from the competition. The others may be more talented, so you must be a harder-worker, or a better leader and so on. Never stop growing yourself and striving to become better
Biscuits: What is the most important thing you will take away so far from college hockey?
Mohror:  As I learned as I pack my gear and left my high school locker room for the last time, you cannot get your spent time back. Though this is just a game we play on a frozen sheet of water, slapping a black rubber disk around; these simple aspects make up a large part of who we all are. As hockey players, we all share the common bond of the game, a deep passion that can make you scream and cry, in happiness and anger. In turn, we need to remember that every shot, shift, game, season, can be the last; and when October comes and you see a suburban loaded down with 5 guys and gear headed to the rink with you not in it. Then what used to be a way of life, just amounts to memories
Biscuits: What do you think about the Charleston hockey scene?
Mohror:  Charleston’s hockey scene is great for the South. We’ve got two collegiate programs here, a semi-professional team in the Carolina Stingrays, as well as arguable the largest youth program in the state. The game itself is growing in Charleston and the Cougars are helping fuel it along with the ‘Rays and the Bulldogs of the Citadel. Ever increasing popularity and exciting for the sport has never grown faster, making future years seem more exciting than ever
  
      Thank you very much John! As you can see by his replies, John is a player who is a constant supporting base for his team mates and is always there to keep the team up and going. I think he sets a great example of how college players should act on and off the ice. Up next we have David Jerulle!


(Credit to College of Charleston Hockey Facebook page)

     The second player I would like to introduce you to is freshman forward #9 David Jerulle! Jerulle is 5 ft 8 in, 160 lbs, and is from Naples, Florida. He shoots right and currently has 5 goals in 16 games played, 5 assists, 10 TPs, 3 power play goals, and 24 PIMs. He is a fantastic forward is one of the best I have seen playing in the South. He gritty player with skill and always tries to display his best on the ice. It was great to interview David because it gave a freshman's perspective on college hockey. Enjoy!

Biscuits: Why did you decide to join the College of Charleston team?
Jerulle: I had been accepted to the College of Charleston along with a few other schools and I really wanted to play college hockey and Charleston was the only on with a team so naturally I picked this school and joined the team. I love the sport too much to give it up
Biscuits: What do you think about the C of C program?
Jerulle: I think the program is still young and has plenty of potential and in these next years that I plan to take advantage of and try to bring home a title
Biscuits: How are you planning on helping out the team in freshman year and onward?
Jerulle: I plan to try and be captain one day and recruit as many players as possible to make this team truly great
Biscuits: Do you feel that the Cougars are a close group of guys?
Jerulle: I feel that this team is very close. From the first time I met most of the guys they were inviting the freshman to hang out and get to know everyone better
Biscuits: Where do you see the team going within your college career?
Jerulle: My goal is to make it to the National tournament at least one time before I graduate
Biscuits: How has your college career been so far with the C of C?
Jerulle: I love everything about Charleston. School is fantastic and the city is even better
Biscuits: Would you recommend this program to potential players?
Jerulle: I would absolutely recommend this program to potential players, as I already do
Biscuits: What has been your most memorable experience with the team so far?
Jerulle: I would have to say every road trip we have been on has been filled with unforgettable experiences. We bond as a team more and more each time and I'm sad to see this season end so soon
Biscuits: Has college hockey been what you expected it to be?
Jerulle: Yes and no. I love that I finally get the chance to play college hockey, but I wish more people knew about us. I want to fill the stands for every game and that's something I will try and do in the coming years
Biscuits: What is the most important thing you have learned so far from college puck?
Jerulle: Line chemistry is everything. Having everyone show up figuratively and literally helps tremendously. Having three strong lines that can produce changes the game completely
Biscuits: What do you think about the Charleston hockey scene?
Jerulle: I think that Charleston has a very underrated hockey scene. If we had a few more fans come see us play and get the word out about us I believe we could truly grow into a competitive organization

  Thank you very much David! I liked his interview very much because it showed where the team is trying head and how determined they are to get there. David is a great player to watch because he is physical, aggressive, and very talented out on the ice. He is definitely someone you would want on your team because he talents exceed even off the ice and is to be a very strong leader.


(Credit to College of Charleston Hockey Facebook page)
  
    I had a great time working with all of the beautys down in Charleston, SC and I am thrilled to see where they are in a few years because they are choc full of potential. But as both of the guys said, we need to build the fan base of the Cougars! If you are ever in the Charleston area, go and try to rally some fellow hockey fans to pack the stands! This team loves every minute of ice time they get and will prove to anyone that they are out there to win it every night. Please go and like their page at: https://www.facebook.com/collegeofcharlestonhockey and you can view their team at: http://cofchockey.com/index.html They may be a young team but pretty soon they are going to take the south by storm and show everyone what hockey is really all about! 

   Thanks for reading another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Every blog will be filled with updated hockey news, player reviews, and much more. Until next time remember, don't get your breezers in a bunch because hockey is always around the corner. Remember, it's always a great day for hockey and it lifestyle not just a sport!

(YouTube videos credit to the College of Charleston hockey channel)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha