Skip to main content
Connor Haney





Biscuits and Breezers






   Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! In this blog you will be able to shortly meet Nevada born defenseman turned Czech3 team mate Connor Haney. Unfortunately, we almost never hear of American junior players traveling over to Europe and playing on foreign teams as often as we do as the Swedes, Finns, or Eastern Europeans such as Russian, Ukrainian, or Czechs. Luckily, I was able to do just the opposite of what I normally do. I was able to talk with Connor Haney about his experiences going to the Czech Republic. I have watched Connor play for the Seattle Totems for about 2 seasons now and I have been impressed with his style of play ever since. Connor is 6 ft 6 in, 201 lbs, is from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, and has everything a team would want. First off, his size is one thing that teams would love to have. A big frame is able to do bigger damage to opposing teams and that is exactly what Haney does during his games. He is always dependable to go from his scoring game to his physical game. Last season he was Captain of the Totems and for good reason. He can flip a switch and go easily back and forth between aggression and finesse and that is definitely what is common in NHL teams. Connor is one of those players that will in no doubt make an impact with his hockey career. In the 2012-2013 season alone, he had 19 goals in 45 games played, 23 assists, 42 TPs, and 51 PIMs. As a constant blue liner, that is very impressive. Usually you don't see these many points racked up as a defenseman until you reach the higher level of juniors or even the show itself. Haney has amazing quick skates, soft mitts, a very high hockey IQ, and connects well with anyone he plays with. He is definitely one of those players that will go out on the ice and make things happen no matter what it takes to do it. I believe that Haney is one of those players that younger players should look up to and watch to pick up skills from. Without any more delay, here is Connor!

Biscuits: How did you get the chance to head over to Prague?
Haney: I played with a guy who's dad was a coach there and saw me play and got me into camp and I went to camp and made it
Biscuits: Do you prefer European hockey to US hockey now and why?
Haney: I prefer American hockey because I miss the physicality and style!
Biscuits: How has it been living in Prague for about 3 months?
Haney: It's awesome. I've been there since August. The city is a lot of fun, I never run out of things to do
Biscuits: How has your experience been with your team mates? Are there any barriers between you and the team?
Haney: It's been good. It was really difficult when I first got there because of the huge language barrier and very few guys speak English but it's definitely improved over time as has my Czech
Biscuits: Do you feel your game has changed any during your time in the Czech Republic?
Haney: Yeah, it's had to because of the larger rink and the game is much more puck possession so I've had to become more patient with the puck
Biscuits: I saw you attended a few KHL games, what was your reaction towards the KHL for the first time?
Haney: It's a lot of fun to watch. The fan atmosphere is amazing and the skill of the KHL is great, but I would rather be watching NHL games
Biscuits: In your opinion, why do you think we rarely hear of Americans traveling to Europe?
Haney: I think in the case of the Czech Republic, probably the language barrier and cultural differences, it takes a lot of time to adjust to the lifestyle
Biscuits: Would you recommend traveling to Europe for hockey to other players?
Haney: I don't think it's for everyone but it's an awesome experience and if the opportunity comes it's difficult to turn it down!
Biscuits: How has your stay in Prague changed your view on hockey?
Haney: It showed me a different atmosphere for hockey I had never seen before that I really like
Biscuits: What has been your most memorable experience with the team so far?
Haney: Probably playing against teams with ex-NHLers it's crazy to see people I used to watch on TV on other teams!
Biscuits: Do you see yourself ever playing in a European league again? What advice would you give to American players hoping/getting ready to play in Europe?
Haney: Yes I've already begun looking at places there as well as in the US for next year! I think to do their research before they go and get personal testimony because it's not always what you think it will be!


(Credit to Connor Haney)

   Thank you very much Connor! It was great to talk with him and get his side of the story. I will be keeping track of his season in the Czech Republic and so should you! This season he is playing on the HC Klatovy Czech3 team so if you ever have time, check Connor out and see how and where his journey takes him!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle