Skip to main content
Getting to know your Maulers
Player #19 Nikita Sheptytskyy






Get to know your Maulers
Player #19: Nikita Sheptytskyy





(Credit to Missoula Maulers)
Welcome back to another Meet your Maulers! In this blog you will be getting to know Ukrainian rookie and forward #13 Nikita Sheptytskyy! Nikita is 6 ft 3 in, 190 lbs, is from Kiev, Ukraine, and is a '95. It appears that he played for the Kryzhynka Kviv in the Ukraine U18 League in the 2012-2013 season but I can not find any stats for this year. I was able to find his Ukrainian national team WJC18 d1B stats for the 2012-2013 "tournament." He has 3 goals in 5 games played, 2 assists, 5 TPs, 2 PIMs, and a +/- of -3. Watching him so far throughout his season in the WSHL, all I can say is wow. Nikita is amazing out on the ice. He isn't a physical player but his skills with the biscuit are incredible. So far in this league he has 3 goals in 10 games played, 4 assists, 7 TPs, 0 PIMs, and 3 power play assists. I love to watch Nikita play because he makes things happen. His passes are very smooth and connected, he communicates with his team mates very well, and is always there when the team needs him. So far it seems like he hasn't gotten entirely out of his "shell" yet which is understandable but when he does things are going to be fast and furious on the ice. The guy will make sure things happen the way they are supposed to during games and he always try to score as many goals as possible. I am excited to see the way he plays against the Southern Oregon Spartans on the 22nd-24th. I think it will be a good match up and there will be some rivalries created. I am thrilled that he joined the team and I can't wait to see how he progresses and grows through out the season. I was able to interview him (shout out and huge thanks to Cody Janzen for helping me get in contact with Nikita and relaying messages between us) at the rink the same day as Z and Pukkila and here is what he had to say!

1. Why did you decide to join the Maulers?

NS: Well because here, [they have] a great coach and I'd like to play in the US so far and I am happy to be here

2. What skills on and off the ice do you expect to bring to the team this year?

NS: Make plays, some speed, and 1 on 1 plays

3. Favorite NHL team and player?

NS: My favorite NHL team is the Washington Capitals and my favorite player is Sergei Fedorov

4. Favorite pregame meal?

NS: Pasta and chicken

5. What do you enjoy to do when you are not playing hockey?

NS: Just staying home and resting and watching TV shows

6. Greatest chirp you have ever said or been told?

NS: I don't know actually

7. What do you like most about Missoula?

NS: I like that the city is quiet and everything is near, I like it here at the Glacier Ice Rink, so everything is cool

8. Best hockey memory?

NS:When I attended the U20 National team camp

9. Worst travel experience?

NS:When I was traveling away with the National team and I had a flight for 6 hours and was very bored

10. Best dressed?

NS: Auzzie Auzzinnaro

11. Where do you see yourself in hockey in the next 5 years?

NS: I don't know I just want to play hockey and I don't care where

12. Best travel partner?

NS: I am okay with everyone

13. Goon, Miracle, or Slapshot?

NS: Miracle

14. Which NHL player would you want to go 1 on 1 with?

NS: Sergei Gonchar

15. Which player best embodies the junior lifestyle?

NS: I don't know actually

16. Anything you would like to tell the fans?

NS: Come to watch our games

17. Which NHL would you compare yourself to?

NS: Sergei Fedorov

18. If you had to be stuck on a desert island with anyone in the world or anyone on the team who would it be?

NS: Probably some one off the the team

19. Do you like North American hockey better than Ukrainian hockey?

NS: Ya, because when I would play in Russia or Ukraine it was more speed, more fast it was like it's real hockey so it's pretty good

20. What do you miss about home?

NS: I miss my family at first, and my friends. Like my past lifestyle a little bit

21. Is there a language barrier between you and the guys?

NS: At first. Now it's not like a big language barrier but for now it's easy to speak with everyone

  It was great to talk with Nikita for a little bit and I think he is going to be a great asset to the team this year. He is a strong and physical presence that will be hard to match up against in future games. Thank you for talking with me Nikita and good luck with the Maulers!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha