Skip to main content
Player(s) Profile   



Biscuits and Breezers




   Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers and this is a blog that you will not want to miss! I had the great pleasure to work with a pair of beauts from Michigan. These players would be Royales defenseman Nick DeSimone and forward Robby Gervino. These two are genuine hockey beautys and probably the biggest ones you will ever meet. They have the combined skill on and off the ice. In the 2012-2013 season this pair started off on the Southern Oregon Spartans' roster but following a huge trade Gervino and DeSimone found themselves suiting up as New Mexico Renegades. In Oregon, Nick had 3 goals in 20 games, 2 assists, 5 TPs, and 21 PIMs. Robby recorded 3 goals in 19 games, 7 assists, 10 TPs, and 32 PIMs. After the trade though Robby had 5 goals in 18 games, 11 assists, 16 TPs, and 32 PIMs and Nick racked up 2 goals in 20 games played, 8 assists, 10 TPs, and 30 PIMs. Clearly the trade benefited them both. For a while now these two have been some of Biscuits and Breezers biggest supporters and I think that is incredibly sick. In this blog we will have an interview from each of the guys, player reviews for both, and 2 highlight videos! Keep your laces tight because this is going to be a thrilling ride! 

   First off we have Nick DeSimone. Nick is one of the guys who you would want on your blue line. He is hard hitting and doesn't question getting physical once in a while. Not only will he find the back of the net but he drops the gloves as well. While I was watching one of the New Mexico games I saw DeSimone fight with a player from the Phoenix Knights and let's just say I wouldn't want to be fighting him. Fists were flying and there was no stopping until his opponent was pinned down on the ice. Honestly it reminded me of Kris Letang's fight with Kimmo Timonen in the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. In all reality, Nick reminds me of Letang when he is out on the ice. He defends just like Kris and his techniques on the blue line are clear cut and to the point. DeSimone isn't afraid to work the boards and will produce some huge hits. If you are a young defenseman looking for some pointers I recommend watching Nick play some time. I was very lucky and had the great experience to interview him and here is what he had to say! Enjoy! The first question I asked was, "What were your thoughts on the 14 player trade that put you in New Mexico last season?" His response was, "It was interesting but we did it because we believe in Coach Stanaway. He has a good reputation on getting players to the NCAA so we all stuck with him so we can move on to the next level and keep playing the game we love." "What are your thoughts on playing in Marquette? How do you think your season will play out?" He said, "Great question Biscuits, Marquette is great so far. We believe our team can compete with any Tier 3 team. We have the skill and hard work to hopefully have a successful year." I then asked, "Being a defenseman and I have seen a few of your fights and physical plays, who would you style yourself after?" DeSimone said, "I'd like to model my game after Douglas Murray, making smart plays and bringing a physical game also Kris Letang because I like to play a creative game and I'm working on getting speed and quickness to get out of tight areas." "When you move on to college hockey if you choose to, which hockey program would you want to be involved with?" Nick answered, "I'd like to go to a good college program with a team that competes hard and is very serious about hockey. I'm not the smartest kid so I also have a dream to play over seas in a professional league and who knows what can happen. All I can do is put in the work and keep working on my weakness to better myself as a hockey player." Great answer I thought. I proceeded to then ask, "What do you think your favorite junior hockey memory is?" Nick replied, "My favorite junior hockey memory is just living the best life style anyone can ask for. Getting to wake up and play the best game with some of my closest friends day in and day out I'm truly blessed." This guy is definitely interview worthy, he comes up with some of the most heart felt and creative answers! "What is your favorite NHL team and why also who do you choose to be the 2014 Stanley Cup champions?" Right away he said, "Without a doubt the Chicago Blackhawks. I see them winning in 2014 and many more years after that. Being a Chicago boy I love the Hawks. They're the best team in the NHL! Gooooo Hawks Gooooo!" I said, "Do you have any pregame rituals that you would like to share? Routines, songs, etc.?" He answered, "Yes I do the same stretches every game, I get dressed the same way, I always have to go third in line for warm ups, I always say a prayer before the game, and I tape my stick the same way every time. I'm very superstitious. I have some more ridiculous things I do haha and yes I listen to Waka Flocka before games because he's freaking awesome and gets me pumped up!" See what I mean, this guy is awesome! The next question was, "Would you ever consider working with the younger hockey generation?" He replied with, "Oh ya Biscuits anything I ever learned in hockey from the coaches I have had I'd love to give some knowledge to younger players to help them out!" "Where do you see yourself in hockey in the next 5 years?" "All I can do is work as hard as I can and keep learning the game and who knows, if I keep working as hard as I can and keep working on my weaknesses." I then asked, "When you are strength training or conditioning are there any specific exercises you like to do?" Nick answered, " Yes I do Letangs which are exercises that involves a lot of legs. I work on exposition and quickness/agility since I already have a superb upper body. I keep working on speed and quickness so I can become faster and quicker on the ice! Awesome question!" Really this guys is one of the biggest gems I have ever talked to! One of the last questions was, "What do you like to do in the off season?" He said, "Off season for me is a time I work on my weaknesses. I spend my whole summer breaking my body down in the gym that way I become a better player. I also spent a lot of time shooting pucks with my good friend Robby who also loves you Biscuits and whenever I have free time I like to play golf, watch movies, go fishing, and spend time with my family. I also eat a lot of sushi." After the conversation of our love for sushi I asked, "If you have children will you decide to put them into hockey as well?" DeSimone responded, "Yes I would because hockey is a great sport that can teach you teamwork, hard work, and dedication you need to have in the real world. It builds character." Unfortunately we had to end this interview and I asked as a final question, "Is there anything you would like to say to the younger hockey players, junior players, Biscuits and Breezers readers etc.?" In a very deep and truthful answer he said, "Yes, for all you Biscuit Breezer readers out there Biscuits is the best out there and for the younger players take advice from coaches and others. There's a lot to learn about hockey you can never learn enough, always make sure to work as hard as you can, stay dedicated, and work on your weaknesses to better yourself on the ice. Also I'd like to give a shout out to my cousin Matt Breseman who is trying to make a comeback and join an NCAA hockey program. We worked hard this off season and I hope it pays off for him. Good Luck Buddy!" Honestly and truthfully this was one of the most fun interviews I have ever had. Nick is full of life and has a great personality which pairs very well with his enormous presence on the ice! Thank you so much Nick it was awesome! I hope he goes very far in hockey because if he does he has the dedication to go all the way to the show!

DeSimone's 2012-2013 picture



   Next but certainly not in least importance we have Robby Gervino. Robby is again a player you would want to make sure you had in your line up. Gervino has a wicked knack for firing it past the tendy and being a huge force out on shifts. He will make severely significant plays and save ones that have gone awry. When Robby plays he plays with a passion that is unmistakable. If I had to choose an NHL player that resembled him I would most definitely pick Steven Stamkos or T.J. Oshie. He carries himself on and off the ice exactly like them and shows why he was chosen to be put out on shifts. Robby is a great guy to have on roster because he is such a versatile player. He'll deke out players, work the boards, and go tape to tape. Gervino is a player you should definitely keep your eye on. I was fortunate enough to land an interview with him and this is what he had to say! I hope you all enjoy! The first question I asked Robby was, "What were your thoughts on the 14 player trade that put you in New Mexico last season?" Gervino answered, "Well it was sure an eye opener for the league that the players were behind Coach Stanaway 110% and bought in to his system. I do not have any regrets with my decision to stick with my coach and line mates as my opportunity to get to a good school is better because of it. It is no mistake that Stanaway has gotten so many of his players to the NCAA." Seeing that this also was going to be a good interview I asked, "How do you think your season will play out now that you are contracted in Marquette? Any benefits or regrets?" He replied, "Being a part of the Marquette Royales community is just an all around awesome experience. We got some serious talent in the lineup and feel that we should take this thing all the way. Great character players all around the locker room. The team is ready to give the fans a show as the season home opener is almost underway." The next question was, "Being a forward who, if any, players would you style your play after?" Quickly he replied, "Oh boy tough question Biscuits! I like to model my  play after T.J. Oshie because I like to be creative as well as play physical too."  "If you choose to move on to college hockey which program would you want to be involved with?" Robby said, "I would like to move to the NCAA next year. My goal is to play for the best team I can and be the best player and person I can be. I strongly believe that with good work ethic and proper training dreams can come realities." That really is quotable. I think those are great qualities to live by. "Do you see yourself ever moving overseas to play hockey?" "Absolutely, if the opportunity becomes available that's something not a lot of players can say they did. Would love to keep living the dream and travel at the same time." To follow a fantastic answer I said, "Who would you say your favorite NHL team is and why? Who do you predict will hoist the cup in 2014?" Robby replied, "I'm going to have to go with the Chicago Blackhawks. It's my hometown team and the guys can flat out play." True! "Do you have any pregame rituals you would like to share? Songs, routines, etc.?"  He said, "I like to just make sure the twigs are ready to go. I really utilize the groin stretch. My pregame playlist usually consists of smooth jazz and opera, very different than other players; I just like to keep myself focused." I proceeded to ask, "Would you ever consider working with the younger hockey players?" "Definitely, I actually volunteer at the youth programs in Chicago. I enjoy mentoring young hockey players and passing on what my great coaches have taught me." I then wondered, "What would your favorite hockey memory be?" "Too many to count Biscuits! We love you here!" I asked, "When you are strength training or conditioning are there any specific exercises you like to do? Are you a fan of weights?" He answered, "Awesome question Biscuits! I like to go to the gym after practice and do hockey specific training. I mainly keep my focus on legs and core. I love working out because it helps my game get to the next level. I treat it as an extended practice." Now this is incredible because that just shows how far he is willing to go to be the best. I wanted to know, "What do you like to do in the off season?" He answered saying, "I like to workout and skate everyday. That's my time to get ahead of other players." Wow just wow. "If have you children will you put them into hockey as well?" Robby replied with, "I would like them to play, but my parents didn't push me into it and I think they did the right thing. If my kid or kids wants to play hockey that's awesome, if not I'll support their decision all the way as long as they are happy." This is great to hear because it not only shows good parenting but it also shows support for an individuals decision. The last question of the interview was, "Is there anything you would like to say to the younger hockey players, junior players, Biscuits and Breezers readers, etc.?" His last reply was, "If there is one thing I can think of that can relate to everyone it would be if you have a goal in life don't let anyone say you can't do it." Thank you so much Robby it was a very inspirational interview and I definitely will take away moral qualities from his responses. His outlook on life is phenomenal and just spews the attitude of nothing can stand in my way. He is a player that others should definitely look up to! I hope he goes far in hockey as well because if he does, he will, with no doubt, leave his mark.

Gervino's 2012-2013 picture





 I am very glad that I had the incredible opportunity to talk with these beauts! When talking with players I have never before laughed so hard and felt so loved. True gems. They are the junior hockey version of Toews (Gervino) and Kane (DeSimone). They are some if not my biggest fans and I am so glad to boast that! I just want to thank them again and I hope that Biscuits and Breezers will be in partnership with these two for quite some time! Thanks boys!!! Thanks for reading another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Every blog will be filled with updated hockey news, player reviews, and much more! Until next time remember, don't get your breezers in a bunch because hockey is always around the corner. Remember, it's always a great day for hockey and it's a lifestyle not just a sport!
Credit to Chucky Slick for this design

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha