Skip to main content
#38

 
Biscuits and Breezers


        Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! In this blog we will talk about Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg heading to Switzerland and New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh plans to play in Russia. Starting off with Detroit!  I have gotten some requests to cover a Red Wings story, so here it is! As you all know, with Lidstrom retired, Henrik Zetterberg has become more progressively known for the fact that he could be the next captain in the long line of  legendary Detroit Red Wings captains.  But with the lockout in full force, he has no jersey to stitch the "C" onto. He has found a solution to this problem. Henrik Zetterberg shall play on Switzerland's EV Zug team. He will also join Red Wings rookie Damien Brunner on Friday. As far as I can tell, he could not join his old team in Sweden for insurance and money issues. Henrik was getting very constricted on team because there are very limited spots on European rosters and some of the more known NHLers have filled those already, but I guess teams are willing to expand their rosters. The players better get on top of things if they want a spot over in Europe! But back to the point, good luck Henrik in Switzerland!

    The second thing we will talk about are the New York Rangers. As you all know, when the NHL declared lockout, there was a flood of players headed to Russia ready to brace the freezing winters just play some of the best hockey in the world. Well New York Rangers d-man Ryan McDonagh is joining that group. He will play on the KHL's Barys Astana. He could be on the lineup as early as Friday so make sure to look out for that. Now Ryan is the 3rd Ranger to head overseas. Rick Nash is headed over to play in Switzerland for Davos and Swedish team mate Carl Hagelin will play in his hometown of Sodertalje. That should be a nice change of pace for Hagelin, playing on "home ice" would be such a good thing after some many years of not even seeing the same rink. Now Henrik Lundqvist hasn't signed with Frolunda yet, but it is said that he has expressed an interest in playing with them if the lockout persists. Oh by the way, it is said that ESPN3 is supposed to start broadcasting KHL games so we can keep track of our favorite players this season. Make sure to take advantage of that if you can! It will be six additional games up through the 29th of October. Just to let you know. Anyway, Good Luck Ryan!

     Now for the "Players of Today". For the junior player we have Helena Bighorns forward Christian Axelsson. For the NHL pick we have Anaheim Ducks right wing Corey Perry. For the European pick we have French/Canadian Rouen center Julien Desrosiers.

   First off, we have the junior pick. Christian is 6ft. 2in, 191lbs, and is from Norrkoping, Sweden. For the 2012-2013 season he is playing for the AWHL team the Helena Bighorns. In the 2011-2012 season he had 17 goals in 27 games played 19 assists, 36 TPs, 34 PIMs, and a +/- of 13. I had the great pleasure of talking to Christian this week and here is how the interview went. I asked Christian  how was the transition from Sweden to the USA and what made you want to play over here this season. He responded with, "Well the main difference in the game is the speed. The pace is so much higher over here and I really like it. There's alot more hitting and skating. And I wanted to come here and play because of all that. I wanted to develop my game, my skating and my strength on the ice. This far I must say it has gone pretty good. Every day on the ice I feel like I get more into it. I've always had good hockey sense so I knew that wouldn't be the trouble, and the more I get use to the pace, I can take advantage of my hockey sense!" The next question I asked was how he predicted his season to go since he had a total of 36 TPs last season, does he think he is going to top that. With that Christian responded, "Oh I'm that kind of player that has high standards, needless to say, I always wanna compete with the top players in the league! I'm definitely gonna beat my record of 36 points this season, hopefully I get to keep playing my game and won't get any injuries." The question I asked him next was that if he expected to move onto a higher North American/European league after this season. The answer I got was, "That's my goal! I wanna take my hockey as far as I can! you know, I'm thinking about college here in the US so we'll see how this season turns out and if any colleges are interested!"  Finally the last question I asked Christian was how is he going to help the Bighorns become the AWHL champions this year. He responded with, "Okey, Well I'm gonna do my best every shift and every second on the ice to help my team keep getting forward. I'm gonna do what's necessary, make big hits, score important goals and set up plays. I'm gonna bring my two-way play to the games every week!" As you can see this Swede is determined, anxious, and is ready to get roaring on this season. Christian is an excellent two way player, has great passes, and isn't afraid to block a shot if it will in anyway help his team. He is so dedicated and really takes on a mentality that he will do anything for his team. I really hope that he is very looked over by scouts because he has so much potential that he just has to move up. A major hockey college like Minnesota or Boston should give him a serious look because a school with a hockey magnitude like theirs would excel so much. Even NHL scouts should take a look because Christian is a unique kind of player with a passion that never stops. Good Luck Christian with the Bighorns and your future (hopefully NHL) hockey career! Thanks for the interview Christian!

     Now we have the NHL player. Corey Perry is 6ft. 3in, 212 lbs, and is from Peterborough, Ontario, Canda. He was drafted by Anaheim in the 1st round 28th overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. His minor and junior teams were the Peterborough AA Petes for minor and the London Knights in the OHL. He also played for the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks and the Portland Pirates in the AHL. Corey represented Canada in the 2010 Vancouver winter Olympics. In the 2011-2012 season, Perry had 37 goals in 80 games played, 23 assists, 60 TPs, a +/- of -7, 127 PIMs, 14 power play goals, 1 shorthanded goal, 6 game winning goals, 277 shots on goal and a S% of 13.4. Corey is a great addition to the Ducks and certainly proves that he is. He has soft hands, nice passes, and often plays the boards to his advantage. Good luck Corey with the Ducks and your future NHL career! Oh and he will be playing with the Ducks for the next season.

   Lastly we have the European player. Julien Desrosiers is 5ft. 11ins, 176lbs, and is from St. Anaclet de Lessard, Quebec, Canada. He has dual citizenship though, French and Canadian. In the 2011-2012 season, Julien had 16 goals in 24 games played, 18 assists, 34 TPs, and 24 PIMs. He is currently a center for the French professional league Rouen. Julien has great hands, pretty amazing saucer passes, and has determination to do things other players might not do. His hands are soft and seem to find the back of the net quite often. Good luck Julen with Rouen and your future hockey career!

   Thanks for reading another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Every episode will be filled with updated hockey news, player reviews, and much more. Until next time remember, don't get your breezers in a bunch because hockey is always around the corner. Remember, it's always a great day for hockey and it's a lifestyle not just a sport!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle