Skip to main content

#46/Interview Blog



Interview Blog

       This week was quite a week for hockey. I went to the Missoula Maulers vs. Helena Bighorns game Friday night and I was very impressed! The Helena Bighorns won the game in the end at 5-2 and played very well. But in turn spent the most time in the penalty box at a total of 29 minutes total. The Bighorns racked up 7 minors and 1 major. The Maulers had goals from Zach Paisley and Tyler Zandhuisen and assists from Anders Nord, Brett Mathews, and Dustin Pierce. The Helena Bighorns had goals from Christian Axelsson, Theo Campe, Kyle Baker, captain Ben Henne, and Damon Hanson. Each of these players had an assist and also had assists from Brandon Rumble and Jacob Wolter. Jett Salinas saved 28 out of 30 shots on goal while Cody Janzen saved 28 out of 33 shots. The Maulers ended the game with 28 penalty minutes for 4 minors and 2 major penalties.

       Now we shall move onto what this blog is really about! The last time the Maulers faced the Bighorns was the 7th of December, that night there was white out conditions and unfortunately, I had to leave before the start of the second period and couldn't complete my interview with Helena Bighorns defenseman John Petersson and forward Christian Axelsson. We were able to talk after the game and decided try again on the 14th. It was a bit tricky but with the help of assistant coach Mike Butters and Coach Scott Cunningham, we were able to get it done. With out them I never would have been able to do it right after the game! You all are probably thinking right now that I should just get to the interview and stop prolonging it. Well here it is!

     When we were finally able to meet, after the game, I asked them both a few questions. The first question I posed to this pair of bruising Swedes was, "How is it having another Swede playing with you? Is it comforting to know that you both are going through the same things?" Christian replied, "Ya of course I mean it's a lot of help with the languages coming here the first couple of weeks it's just having that supporting shoulder and someone you can talk to." John seconded this response with, "Ya it's not the same stuff like Sweden, you have to help each other in different situations." The next question I asked was, "Currently how do you think your season is going and do you think you will stay in America for another season?" Petersson and Axelsson  both responded with a joint answer, "Ya I think we play good, but the last couple of games we must do better in the future and we have to keep working hard every shift. We can't take shifts off, if we don't score we get in trouble and we have to keep working." I followed that with, "How did it feel the first time you went up against Viktor (fellow Scandinavian Hockey Consulting client)? How did it feel to get that win?" Christian answered. "Ya I mean personally I know Viktor aside hockey and he's a great guy, but you know on the ice we are still competing. I mean it is always great to win, I love to win." John then followed up by responding, "I don't know him in person but ya it felt pretty good to beat a fellow Swede in a rivalry I'd say." My next question was in regards to their future, "After you get back to your home in Sweden after the season is closed and done, how will you look back on it, the ups and downs?" John replied," It's absolutely a big experience, like I want to learn more English and see how America is. I am really glad I took this step and came here actually." Christian then chipped in, "I mean the ice hockey, just the experience playing hockey in America like with the small ice and the intense of the game. It has been a great experience both off and on the ice." The last question I asked was, " How is  playing on the smaller North American ice? It is easier or harder than the European/International ice?" Christian answered with, " I think it depends, it's all mental. There is a lot more skating here and you have to be there every shift and keep working hard. For me personally it's bigger for my hockey working up those quick feet and  just banging bodies." John then got his turn and replied, "I think you develop a lot playing the smaller rink. You don't have much time so you have to make decisions faster here and so I think it's good." After they both responded, they said together, the exact same thing, " Ya it's definitely good for our hockey."

    I was very excited to finally be able to interview these talented players, face to face.  I came away with the impression, that these Swedes are happy to be here, playing in North America and that it really is a learning experience for the both of them. They are living large, working hard, and not taking anything for granted. I hope they both are able to move up next year because I feel, that they are both very talented players. I again want to thank the coaches for giving me the opportunity for this interview to happen, and also thank you to John and Christian for taking the time to meet with me.  I really enjoyed meeting and talking to them and I hoped they did as well! Thanks guys! Have a great rest of the season!  I will enjoy watching your progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha