Skip to main content

Blog Revamping

Hey readers, I’m Morgan Stoltz and I’m excited to be taking over this blog! Sophia is passing the torch onto me to start writing here on this blog. A little background on me, I’m based in Western Montana and am a passionate fan of all hockey. I’ve been following hockey for about three years and learned a wide variety of things along the way. Because of my love for the game, I’m studying Exercise Science at the University of Montana in the fall. To learn a little bit more about me, I would just like to divulge who my favorite types of players are.
I especially love the guys on the ice who fly under the radar, you don’t see them right away, they’re not gleaming or eye-catching at all. But they work so hard and give 110%. If you watch TJ Oshie, he’s the perfect example of this kind of player. Watching old games, he’s constantly moving, never stationary. Sometimes this gets him an assist, sometimes he’s just a screen in front of the net. He spent an “average of 18:25 on the ice” in 2017-18 (ESPN) and every second he spent was useful. Skaters that explode and make themselves essential for wins are players that get the most respect from me.
I also have mad respect for goaltenders, mainly because their job on the ice is like no other. Goalies that I really enjoy watching are Pekka Rinne and Marc-Andre Fleury. Why? Well, they get after the puck, they aren’t just sitting in the net, and they make numerous saves in a row. When watching goaltenders play, you want them to do more than sit in the net and wait to block a shot. I like to see them using their sticks and pushing the puck around the boards. Puck handling is often not associated with goalies mainly because we don’t see them playing the puck outside of the trapezoid but truthfully this shows a strong confident goaltender. Imagine if the man never left the net, even to stop the puck behind his net? He obviously lacks confidence in his abilities. But if your tender is stopping pucks and branching out to play pucks, he’s obviously confident in his skating and his ability to stop the puck when he gets back to his net. When a goalie makes three saves in a row it is a spectacular sight but it shows much of his technique. This proves to me he doesn’t just go down to block a puck, it shows me that he sits up tall and goes down into a butterfly stretch as the last resort to make that third or fourth effort. This is why I give goaltenders so much credit because their job is a unique one.
Now that you’ve learned a little about me I’m excited to start posting and showing you throughout this next season what players catch my eye. Stay tuned for my next post where I dive into the ideal team built in the late 70’s early 80’s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle