Skip to main content
Sebastian Gronborg





Biscuits and Breezers







   Working with multiple junior teams, a writer can meet hundreds of players and many stick out as ones you believe will go far, but then once every couple of seasons you meet a player you know without a doubt is going to the top and beyond. You know that they have so much potential in hockey that they stun you every night they are on the ice. Well, I believe I have met that rare and jaw-dropping player. Sebastian Gronborg from Nykoping, Sweden. I have personally watched him play multiple times and talked with him quite a bit and every time he is in that cage you can see fiery passion burn in his eyes that can only be settled down by a victory. He knows what his limits are and each game he goes out there and tries to push them farther. His passion for the game and his intensity in the net is outstanding. I don't believe that, to date, I have ever met a player as talented, driven, and passionate about the sport as he is. He strives to be better everyday and Sebastian is filled to the brim with confidence. In one, if not the greatest, hockey movies of all time Kurt Russell, who is portraying Herb Brooks, is showing the Miracle team the Soviet hockey team. He comes to a video clip featuring Vladislav Tretiak and he says, "Vladislav Tretiak; if you score on him, keep the puck because it does not happen often." This is the definition of Gronborg because if you are a player rushing towards him with the biscuit, prepared to be denied, because he knows that he can and will be the best goaltender on that ice at all times. Once you see him walk down the stairs for warm ups, the opposing guys are already intimidated. It is absolutely out of this world what he can achieve and what is even more amazing is that he takes his goals and he captures them one by one. Nothing will stop Sebastian because this tendy is one of the best you will ever see. 

(Credit to Johan Gronborg for this spectacular picture)
  Sebastian and I were able to meet up for an interview early yesterday and we discussed his time in North America and what he has to look back on as well as a future to look forward to. Here is what Gronborg had to say:

Biscuits: What have you liked the most about North American hockey?

Gronborg: I have loved it all, the speed, the physical game, the fights. All the players go straight into the goal here, instead of into the corners that almost everybody in Sweden does. Because that the players go straight to the goal here, [it] makes it that you get more shots, and that's something I really like!

Biscuits: Who has been your favorite team to play against?

Gronborg: Obviously Idaho! I like to play against those top team and have a lot to do in the crease.

Biscuits: How will you look back on your experiences in Montana?

Gronborg: My experiences here in Montana is the best thing ever that [has] happened to me! I play with the best guys and in front of the best fans! Can't get better than that! And my billet family are the absolutely most amazing people I have met! This experiences has changed me a lot as a person and a hockey player and I'm so happy about that! I have learned so much about my self and to live and play hockey in a new country.

Biscuits: How has the beginning of the season differed from now?

Gronborg: The beginning was hard for me, with the smaller ice area and new angles. It took me a while to get used to that. My turning point of the season was against Idaho. Got the chance to play and did an okay game against them. Then I had a great experience down there in Las Vegas where I got the chance to play two games and was fortunate to get the shutouts in both of them. That was my turning point. Since then, I think I have played solid.

Biscuits: Do you think you've grown as a goaltender during your stay here?

Gronborg: I really think I have! I have become much better behind the net and in the game with the stick. It's something I developed most of all I think. Since then I have become more stable, I play simpler and more controlling in the crease now than before.

Biscuits: Was Missoula what you expected it to be?

Gronborg: Yes and no, I never thought it would be so wonderful as it is! People here are so friendly and hockey crazy. It is absolutely amazing!

Biscuits: What will you take away most from your year here?

Gronborg: I can not put any words on something specific! Will take with me everything! But if there should be one thing, it is all the friends I have received! I've become very rich in friends here and they will be there the rest of my life!

Biscuits: Do you have any favorite memories?

Gronborg: My first game against Seattle in front of 1300 fans and get the win in my first game! :) It was a big moment for me! Then the trip to Vegas and the games there. But the biggest memory is the game against the Boulder Bison, when my dad got to see me live. Getting to play in front of him and get the win in that game was big for me!

Biscuits: Are you looking forward to college hockey?

Gronborg: Yes my goal this season was to get the chance to go to college and play college hockey. I hope I can get the opportunity to do so! I hope I can get to experience that dream. I must enter the school on my test scores and then have the money for it. So there is still a long way to go. Even though I have received an offer.

Biscuits: Are you happy with your season?

Gronborg: I'm not happy yet! I want to go to the playoffs!

Biscuits: Did you enjoy your season with the two other goalies?

Gronborg: Yes of course! They both are two different goalies and I have learned a lot from them both! I think we all have helped each other to become a better goalie and a person outside the rink! They both are two really good guys!

Biscuits: How does it feel to have to split the net time 3 ways?

Gronborg: It's always hard to be 3 goalies in a team! You know that someone is going to sit at the stands in the games, and you don't want to be that person. So you work really hard at every practice to get the chance to play. I think that [they] have helped me a lot to improve as a goalie. You never take anything for granted. Then it's good with competition. Both for us and the team. When we goalies work harder in training, also the players must do it. It will be stimulating for all I think.

Biscuits: How do you feel about hockey in Missoula?

Gronborg: Hockey here is great! This town is all about hockey and football. The community lives for the sports in this town and you can see it everywhere. The hockey here is getting bigger and bigger I think.

(Another phenomenal photo by Johan Gronborg)
   As you can see, Sebastian is absolutely an amazing person on and off the ice. When he shoots for the stars he knows he will get there eventually. He has the skill set to be an NHL goaltender for sure and whoever is smart enough to pick him, will be lucky and victorious for many seasons. I sincerely hope we see Sebbe in professional hockey soon because he is a star just waiting for the opportunity to shine brightly. I know I am supposed to be professional all the time while writing these, and I am, but Sebastian has been great to get to know for these past 8 months or so and I definitely am very happy I got the chance to get to meet him. It will be very difficult to see him go back to Sweden. But that just means moving on to bigger and better things! In my opinion, you will hear his name come up quite a bit more in the years to come because some very spectacular and great things are going to be accomplished by this young tendy whether it be in the European professional leagues or up in the show. Thank you very much for talking with me Sebastian and let's see you conquer your path all the way to the Thorne Cup in the WSHL playoffs this year like I know you can!

(Credit to jpsphotos.net)

  Before I sign off, I want to share some amazing photos Sebastian's father (Johan Gronborg) took during his time visiting Missoula! I was even lucky enough to meet Mr. Gronborg during his stay! Please enjoy these spectacular pictures!














 











    Thanks for reading another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Every blog will be filled with updated hockey news, player reviews, and much more! Until next time remember, don't get your breezers in a bunch because hockey is always around the corner. Remember, it's always a great day for hockey and it's a lifestyle not just a sport!

(Credit to jpsphotos.net)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#103 Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway as we speak and there are some very important headlines I need to report to all of you! But first of all here are the series standings as of 4/21/14: Montreal vs. Canadiens: Canadiens lead series 3 -0 Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild: Avalanche lead series 2-1 Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blue: Blues lead series 2-1 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Penguins lead series 2-1 Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars: Ducks lead series 2-1 San Jose Sharks vs. LA Kings: Sharks lead series 2-0 New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Series tied at 1-1 Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings: Series tied at 1-1    As for the headlines, we will be talking about Brent Seabrook's suspension, Flyers' Steve Mason playoff situation, Lucic's $5k fine, Backes will be out Game 3, Barrie out 4-6 weeks, Robidas
Fight of the Year Biscuits and Breezers        Before I move on to anymore news, I wanted to feature a fight that I think should be up for a fight of the year in the WSHL. This scrap was between a beast from Missoula and a goon from Seattle. That's right Austin Azzinnaro and Piers LaFrance battled it out in Missoula's last home game and it was amazing. You should have seen these two go at it! It was a complete yard sale of mitts, twigs, and buckets, and by the time Auzzie was done with the Totem, LaFrance was thrown out of the rink looking like he had just met Ross "The Boss" Rhea from Goon. Azzinnaro was ejected in pure beauty style; waving to the roaring fans, excited as can be, and pumped for another round. It was an absolutely incredible fight and I have never seen a junior fight go down as sweet as that one did. Not to mention this was Austin's first tilly! He is a born fighter and obviously it comes by him naturally because the skills he ha
Jamie Zaleski Biscuits and Breezers    Welcome back to another blog of Biscuits and Breezers! Today you will be able to meet and get to know FHL Danville Dashers center Jamie Zaleski a little bit better. You don't come across a player very often that is so passionate about the sport that he takes immense pride in every game he plays or every time he represents his team, but today I believe I was able to talk to one of those chosen few. Jamie is an amazing player who beams passion and talent every time he walks onto the ice for a game and when you see him play, I guarantee that by the end of the game you will be as stunned as I was when I first watched a Dashers game. Zaleski is the perfect player seeing that he has the ideal combinations of aggressive and physical plays, speed, and can score whenever it needs be. I have seen some pretty aggressive players in my time but Jamie Zaleski is the definition of aggression out on the ice. His hits are almost always cle